Monday 16 December 2019

Game Concept Idea: Family Sitcom

As I was working on the last update, I conceived of a game entirely based around the concept of the new content. I'm writing this in a blog post because I will probably never make it, but I like the idea and I just got to get the it out of my head.

The premise is that you're a father character in a sitcom. The game would be designed in such a way that it's different each time, like a narrative roguelike. Every day is an 'episode' in which a random event can happen which will determine the story of the episode. Each potential story is a retro sitcom cliche, eg: son getting in trouble at school, boss coming over for dinner, wife buying something expensive without asking, etc.

While you're dealing with these issues, you're also devoting some time each day progressing your own goals, perverting members of your family and your community, having affairs and the like. You have to do this without sacrificing your reputation, job or marriage, and while being an otherwise adequate father figure in the context of the sitcom world you inhabit.

When the season is over, it either gets renewed for another season or is cancelled. This can perhaps be gauged by how satisfactorily resolved the episodes are, or by weather or not you accomplish a goal assigned to you at the start of a season.

Each subsequent season introduces a new element. Perhaps the Jones's moves in next door that you have to keep up with, or your your daughter starts dating, or you get a maid or your wife's sister comes to visit for an extended period.

That's my idea. Possibly something vaguely like this already exists.

7 comments:

  1. That is a great premise! If there's already something like this, I've never heard of it. I hope you find the time, or the collaborators or the backers to get this done

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's such a good idea! DO IT !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your ideas have quality. I'm looking forward to seeing it come to life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is an amazing idea! if you decide to go through with this I would be very thankful

    ReplyDelete